This article contains affiliate links
10 Best Camping Freezers
What is the best part of a camping trip? The food and the drinks, of course! Hosting a cookout on the beach or at the campsite can be a great activity for the whole family. But without a place to store your cold drinks, your beer and soda will go flat, which will put a damper on all the fun.
Thankfully, there are some quick and easy ways to prevent your drinks from thawing out. Before you leave for your next road trip or camping excursion, be sure to get your hands on the best camping fridge and camping freezers on offer. No matter your budget or size needs, you can find a freezer that can be the perfect addition to your vacation. Below, you’ll find a review of the 10 best freezers of the year!
Top Things to Consider Before You Buy
There are different types of freezers and fridge units that serve different needs. You have to consider your budget constraints, power requirements, and clearance specifications before buying one. Here are some things to consider when making your purchase.
1. Heavy Wiring Requirements
A lot of heavy-duty freezers have heavy wires and cords. You must consider what you are using to power the freezer. Wires must be plugged into your vehicle’s battery in order to operate the fridge – but improper gauge wiring can cause the battery to be drained.
Consider what you will be using the camping freezer for when you buy it. Are you going to keep it in one place for a long period of time, such as in an RV or a boat? Or will it be moved around often? Depending on your needs, different models may work better than others.
3. Available Clearance Space
This kind of appliance needs plenty of space to promote proper airflow. The manual should contain instructions on the amount of clearance space you need; otherwise, make sure nothing is blocking the back of the unit.
10 Best Camping Freezers of 2020
Campers and travellers with a wide variety of needs might find one of the below units to be a perfect match for them. From miniature refrigerators to heavy-duty freezers, this review will give you insight into the best camping freezers on the market today. Use this guide to find the perfect fridge or freezer unit for your next outdoor vacation.
1. Setpower EA35 37 Quarts Portable Freezer Fridge
Long trips require large amounts of storage space. This Setpower model can hold up to 37 quarts of food and drinks with enough cooling power to keep everything nice and crisp for the entire vacation. It hooks up to a 12V source of power that can be adjusted at will.
It stays stable in the vehicle, even when plugged in. You can rough the bumpy mountain roads or unpaved streets without worrying about the fridge unit tipping over. For extra security, you can opt for a 1 or 2-year manufacturer’s warranty.
Dimensions: 23 x 15 x 19.7 inches
Weight: 28.6 pounds
Colours: Black, blue
- Adjustable temperature control between -4℉ – 68℉
- 3 different voltage levels to protect your car battery
- Removable door to choose which side you want to put control panel on
- No ice packs or additional cooling tools required
- No AC adapter included
- Temperature gauge is not always 100% accurate
2. Setpower AJ40 42 Quarts Portable Freezer Fridge
You need a big camping fridge to take with you on a big trip. This heavy-duty Setpower model can hold up to 42 quarts at a time while still remaining compact enough to fit easily in your automobile. It is the perfect size to install in a truck, RV, van, or camper while on a road trip. It comes with both DC and AC hookups that can fit with just about any kind of battery.
It stays stable even when hitting bumps in the road, making it a safe option when traveling with the whole family. It is a viable freezer option for those looking for a heavy-duty fridge that requires no extra ice.
Dimensions: 27.5 x 13.6 x 17.3 inches
Weight: 34.8 pounds
Power: 12/24V DC, 110-240V AC
Colours: Light grey, dark grey
- Strong compressor provides self-sustainable cooling
- 1-2 year warranty included
- Adjustable temperature conditions between 0℉ – 50℉
- Eco-friendly feature allows you to save more energy
- Packing the freezer too full may result in uneven freezing
- Does not work when vehicle or attached power source is turned off
3. AstroAI Portable Freezer 12 Volt Car Refrigerator
If size and compactness is one of your biggest concerns, you might want to check out the new 12V car refrigerator by AstroAI. It has a large interior capacity of 15L without taking up a ton of space. Not to mention, it stays safe and stable in your car while plugged into the battery. It’s easy to set up, plug in, and use.
It even comes with a DC/AC adapter so you can plug it into your car or any permanent outlet. The built-in fuse keeps it from short-circuiting even when the power overloads. Every function and feature can be adjusted using the front LED display panel.
Dimensions: 13.8 x 9.6 x 7.1 inches
Weight: 20.3 pounds
Power: 12/24V DC, 100V-240V AC
Colours: Black, light grey
- Large adjustable temperature range between -4℉ – 95℉ makes this unit good for both cooling and heating
- Battery protection to prevent your vehicle from dying
- Included AC/DC adapter for universal use
- Included USB port for quick charging of your devices
- Condenser can emit loud whirring noise
- Plastic outer layer can retain heat
4. ARB 10802692 ZERO Portable Fridge Freezer
In 2021, smart technology rules everything. You can enhance your camping experience with the latest and greatest in refrigeration technology. This heavy-duty camping fridge and freezer offers Bluetooth connectivity so you can adjust temperatures and other settings with your smart device.
One of the most innovative features of this model is the divider component, which allows you to literally split the freezer in two and have different settings in each compartment. One side can be used as a refrigerator, while the other will freeze your goods. A must-have for barbecues and camping trips!
Dimensions: 33 x 21 x 25 inches
Weight: 63 pounds
Power: 12V DC, 110V AC
Colours: Black, beige
- Durable and tough outer shell to protect sensitive parts from any kind of damage
- Dual power inlets allow for extra setups and plugins to customize your needs
- LED interior light so you can see what you’re doing even at night
- Fits up to 73 quarts of food and drinks
- Bluetooth smartphone app can take a while to connect
- Temperature display is not always 100% accurate
5. BougeRV 12V Portable Refrigerator 53 Quart Car Freezer
If you drive a large vehicle such as a camper, truck, or SUV, you might benefit from a heavy-duty camping freezer like this model from BougeRV. It is big enough to store 53 quarts of food and drinks, which is more than an entire pack of beer!
For any travel and outdoor party needs, you should have something reliable that can hook up with your car’s battery. This freezer has a wide temperature and an eco-friendly mode so it won’t eat up your battery. It is highly recommended for larger vehicles like jeeps and boats that you know can put out a lot of power.
Dimensions: 22 x 13 x 21 inches
Weight: 46.4 pounds
Colours: Black, grey
- 3-level monitor to prevent the fridge from draining your vehicle’s battery
- Adjustable temperature levels between 4℉ – 50℉
- AC adapter included
- Noise reduction mode for quiet functionality
- Plastic outer shell makes it difficult to bolt down
- Controls can be difficult to reach
6. Whynter FM-85G Quart Portable Fridge
Many people think “portable” means “small”. With this new model by Whynter, that certainly isn’t the case. You can have all the space and ease of a regular refrigerator unit while still being able to fit everything into your vehicle. This model offers both cooling and freezing in a heavy-duty environment.
Plug it into your car battery or operate it through an outlet with AC adaptability. You never have to add additional ice or other tools to keep your food and drinks cool. The cord stretches up to 10 feet so you can even use it outdoors.
Dimensions: 23 x 13 x 18 inches
Weight: 75 pounds
Power: 12/24V DC, 110/115V AC
- Can hold up to 120 cans of beer at a time or 85 quarts
- AC/DC adapter included
- Rapid cooling technology for fast freezing
- Stainless steel outer layer protects against damage and temperature changes
- No customer support available
- Very heavy
7. BODEGA 12 Volt Refrigerator Portable Freezer Car Fridge
This heavy-duty camping fridge allows you to kill two birds with one stone by having both wired and wireless controllability. It stores up to 80 quarts, so you can plan for an entire weekend on the beach while being able to fit all food and drinks in this fridge.
You can even separate components of the fridge to keep some sections cold while others are frozen. The friendly user controls allow you to switch settings at the touch of a button.
Dimensions: 32.5 x 21 x 17 inches
Weight: 54 pounds
Power: 12/24V DC, 100-240V AC
- Energy-saving features protect your battery without sacrificing cooling power
- Includes a portable wall plug, AC adapter, and cigarette light connector
- 1-year warranty included
- Very quiet compressor
- Constant temperature adjustment may lock up the system temporarily
- Instruction manual is not thorough
8. Whynter FM-452SG 45 Quart Slimfit Portable Refrigerator
If the other freezers on this list seem too big for your smaller camping needs, fear not: there is a size that fits everyone. Look on the slimmer side for a model like this Whynter freezer that can still hold up to 45 quarts at a time.
It comes with a wide range of innovative features such as a low-power indicator and adjustable temperature control so you can keep things exactly how you want them. The stainless steel handles make for easy transportation and portability.
Dimensions: 21 x 10 x 15 inches
Weight: 52 pounds
Power: 12V D, 110V AC
- Can use AC and DC power at the same time
- Added insulation keeps cool temperatures consistent
- Rated for outdoor use in both domestic and rural locations
- Draws low amounts of power from vehicle batteries
- Refrigerant required
- Minimal customer service available
9. Setpower AJ30 32 Quarts Portable Freezer Fridge
A small but reliable camping freezer, this Stepower model can let you chill up to 32 quarts of food and drinks without draining your car battery. It only takes a few minutes for it to reach the desired temperature, and the eco-friendly mode can help keep everything cool while outdoors.
No ice or freezer packs required. You can bring it with you in your vehicle or use it in the backyard to provide extra space to store your drinks. If something is faulty, the 2-year manufacturer’s warranty can provide you with a fast replacement.
Dimensions: 27.5 x 13.6 x 14.7 inches
Weight: 32.6 pounds
Power: 12/24V DC, 110-240V AC
Colours: Dark grey, light grey
- Durable and stable, it can withstand many bumps in the road without failing
- AC power adapter included so it can be used in any regular outlet
- Lightweight but secure for easy transportation
- Can run on solar power
- Compressor is a bit loud
- Battery protection levels can only be manually adjusted
10. Smad Propane Refrigerator Off-Grid Compact Refrigerator
If you plan on living off the grid for a while or you are hunkering down in a rural campsite, you will want a heavy-duty refrigerator to help you keep all of the essentials nearby. This miniature refrigerator is an ideal cooler and freezer for those that have the ability to run propane appliances.
Enjoy several racks of cooler storage, door shelves, and a freezer drawer so you can store over 3.5 cubic feet of food and drinks. The advanced cooling system makes it completely silent, so you can keep it on all night without hearing a thing.
Dimensions: 20.6 x 23.2 x 32.2 inches
Weight: 75.5 pounds
b12V DC, 110V AC, and propane
- Powerful adjustable thermostat between -0.4℉ – 50℉
- Only 0.6lb/day of propane consumed
- Guaranteed to run at 0dB
- 1-year warranty included
- Indoor fridge light may go out fast
- Freezer is not well-sealed
Find the Perfect Freezer for Your Camping Trip Travels!
The perfect camping freezer can make a huge difference between a good time and a bad trip. In order to bring lots of cold drinks and frozen food items with you, you’ll need a reliable cooling and freezing unit to bring with you. The 10 best camping freezers offer easy ways to plugin with your car battery or another power source; they can also provide eco-friendly features to prevent you from stalling out.
Whether you plan on bringing a lot or a little with you, having a camping fridge will help you sail through your trip with ease. Make sure to add a fridge to the list of must-have camping items. Check out our camping blog for more essential traveling tips!
‘As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases’