This article contains affiliate links
Extreme weather, rural conditions, and limited resources can all contribute to a loss of power. Without generating electricity, you are stuck surviving on the basics of nature. If you are going camping or you live in a rural area with frequent power outages, you absolutely need a backup generator. Lucky for you, survival generators are becoming more affordable and more widely available for every kind of outdoor traveller.
In this guide, we will show you the 10 best survival generators you shouldn’t camp without in 2021. There are more advanced generators this year that offer tons of power and endless charging capabilities so you can stay connected to your devices no matter where you are.
Why You Need a Survival Generator
Backup generators are important machines to own if you ever need to access electricity in a bind. This isn’t just a good idea for survivalists and emergency preppers, but everyone who is looking to add just a little more security to their ability to access electrical power.
Planning a big camping excursion? Don’t leave home without a generator. This machine can come in handy when you set up in a rural spot and have nowhere to charge your devices. Perhaps you brought some camping equipment and appliances with you; you’ll need the power from a generator to provide access to electricity in the middle of nature.
Not to mention, your life may depend on a generator! You might have certain medical machines or other appliances that must be running at all times, and they need to be protected in the event of a power outage. Survival generators can give you that backup resource that can save your life and provide a steady stream of electricity.
Top 10 Survival Generators in 2021
Whether you are looking for a battery or solar-powered device to bring with you on your camping trip, don’t finalize your plans before you check out our top 10 recommendations for survival generators this year. There are plenty of viable options on the market that can provide you a dependable source of energy no matter where in the world you are.
Take a look at our top 10 survival generators before your next camping excursion!
1. Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer
Emergency generators are meant to provide you with electricity when you need it to survive or in the event of a sudden disaster. This small yet efficient generator by Jackery offers a steady source of electricity powered by lithium batteries. It is rated for outdoor use as it is a sturdy piece of equipment that you can take with you even on the most rural of adventures.
The device comes with an AC outlet, a DC carport, and 2 USB ports so you can charge multiple devices at once. You can power large machines and other essential camping equipment even when you’re in the middle of nowhere.
Dimensions: 5.19 x 9.05 x 7.67 inches
Weight: 6.4 kg
Power: 240Wh lithium-ion battery
- AC outlet can power 110V, 200W, or 400W devices
- Built-in MPPT controller to easily and quickly recharge the battery
- Provides hours and hours of uninterrupted power
- 2-year warranty and customer service included with your purchase
- Eco-friendly solar power attachment available but not included
- Does not power anything above 200W
2. Westinghouse WGen6000 Portable Generator
If you are looking for a heavy-duty backup generator, this newer model by Westinghouse might be an option to consider. With 6000 rated watts and a peak wattage of 7500, you can provide some really strong power to your machines and devices. This is a gas-powered generator that requires some fuel to work, but can offer enough electrical energy to provide non-stop electricity for over 13 hours.
Plus, it is powered by a 420cc engine that keeps the flow of electricity strong. You can power sleeping devices and other machines that need to run for several hours on end; you won’t have to worry about running out of energy with this generator by your side.
Dimensions: 27.2 x 26.1 x 26 inches
Weight: 174 pounds
Colour: Black, blue
- Automatic shutdown feature for low oil
- Rubber covers and cast iron sleeve included for protection
- Includes a 6.6-gallon fuel tank for hours of power
- GFCI household outlets included so you can plug in just about anything
- Very heavy for a camping trip
- Propane or fuel required
3. K-TOR Power Box 50
The K-TOR Power Box 50 is a manual power generator in which you can use pedals to produce your own energy. This 50-Watt power generator can provide several hours of power at a time without you having to break yourself by pedaling too hard. This is a good option for those looking for a very lightweight and portable generator option for those rural camping trips and natural excursions.
You can pedal it like you would a bike, and it will store that energy to be generated into electrical power. Plug in your devices and give your machinery a charge no matter where you end up traveling to.
Dimensions: 13 x 9 x 7 inches
Weight: 5 pounds
- No additional power source or fuel required
- You can use this generator to charge the power in other generators
- Provides a steady current of electricity for 6-8 hours at a time
- Perfect for weather emergencies or camping trips
- It can be hard to keep the generator still on the floor while you pedal
- The amount of resistance while pedalling may vary
4. Tech-L Hand Crank Generator
A lot of campers feel that the more portable a device can be, the better it is for rural travel. If you agree, you might find this handheld generator to be the perfect portable device that you can bring with you on any trip.
This is a military-grade generator built for emergencies that provides plenty of power so you can charge your phone and other small devices. It comes with plenty of plugs and hookups that allow you to charge several devices at once. The crank is easy to use, letting you control how much power you put into your generator.
Dimensions: 4.17 x 2.52 x 1.54 inches
Weight: 1.4 pounds
Colour: Military green
- Produces an output voltage of 0-28V
- Water, shock, and heat-resistant
- Includes a DC converter with multiple output voltage ranges available
- Magnetic conversion powers the hand crank, making it easy to add power in just a few pulls
- It takes some manual power to add a lot of electricity to the device
- No wall outlet available
5. Rockpals 250-Watt Portable Generator
Before you go on a camping trip, you must first think about preparing for an emergency. A portable backup survival generator like this one can be there for you in a pinch, whether you are in a rural area or you just lost power in your home. If you have to power important machines like CPAP devices or medical equipment, you should always have a generator with you.
This is a battery-powered generator that can be used to charge your phone and other devices when you go camping. It includes an AC outlet and a car charger so you can use this portable device on the go.
Dimensions: 8.86 x 3.94 x 6.3 inches
Weight: 6 pounds
Colours: Black, orange
- Provides a steady stream of electricity up to 8 hours at a time
- Powers medical devices and camping equipment in an emergency
- USB ports included for quick cell phone charging
- Made for CPAP devices as it can last throughout the night
- Must be charged fully before use
- Additional parts required for car charging
6. WEN 56475 4750-Watt Portable Generator
This electric-start device is one of the most inclusive and heavy-duty survival generators on the market today. It comes with a wheel kit and setup bars so you can easily transport the generator no matter where you go. When it is fully powered, it can provide up to 4750W of power at a time.
Many components of this machine can be folded down to make transport even easier, and it doesn’t sacrifice its sturdiness or quality. The 223cc engine is powerful enough to provide many hours of consistent power at a time.
Dimensions: 26.6 x 17.1 x 17.3 inches
Weight: 112.5 pounds
Power: 4750 Watts
Colours: Black, orange
- Low-oil shutdown feature keeps safety and security in mind and prevents surges
- Meets CARB and EPA requirements in all 50 states of the USA
- Digital control panel helps you adjust power and oil levels
- Provides over 13 hours of consistent use at a time
- Does not hook up to a 220 inlet
- Can be difficult to start because of the way the pull cord is angled
7. Böhmer-AG 6500W-E, Electric Key Start Petrol Generator
If you want a generator that’s large and in charge, look no further: this oil-fueled survival generator offers up to 16 hours of electrical power with available outlets to plug and charge whatever devices you need. There is an easy key-start component that keeps it safe when not in use.
You can hook this up to several different sources of power supply that will help you keep this generator charged and ready for use at any time. You can bring it on a camping trip or use it at home so you can have it in case of emergencies.
Dimensions: 23.6 x 19.29 x 17.3 inches
Weight: 89 pounds
Colours: Black, red
- Provides consistent energy all day or all night with a 10-13 hour run cycle each time you use it
- Dual key start and recoil start available
- High energy output that can power large machines like fridges, freezers, and AC units
- AC and DC outlets available
- Fuel pipe is short, so you must be careful when filling it with oil
- No customer warranty available
8. Böhmer-AG Electric Key Start Petrol Generator
Another heavy-duty generator with a wheel kit for easy transport, this powerful device can bring hours of power to your machines whether you keep it at home or take it along with you to the wilderness. There are several different power supply sources available on it, letting you charge it however is most convenient for you.
The recoil and electric key start options make it easy to turn the generator on and off, and it keeps the machine safe when operating it around children. The overload detection keeps it secure in the event that it runs out of energy as well.
Dimensions: 24.2 x 17.5 x 18.3 inches
Weight: 102.5 pounds
Colour: Black, green
- Current stability with copper-wound motor
- Two plug outputs and a DC output available so you can plug in a variety of machines at once
- 2-year warranty available
- Peak of 7500W when generating at full power
- Starter valve can be loose and must be tightened before use
- Handles are short and may be difficult for a taller person to transport
9. ALLPOWERS Portable Generator
This portable generator is short and sweet, offering tons of power to you while on the go. This square-shaped generator resembles a toolbox, carrying an attached handle so you can easily take it with you on your camping trip.
Another unique feature about this survival generator is that it is solar-powered. While it comes with an AC/DC inverter, there is also an attached solar panel that will absorb energy throughout the day.
Dimensions: 8.1 x 6.5 x 4.3 inches
Weight: 8.5 pounds
Colours: Black, grey
- Eco-friendly generator with zero emissions
- Advanced voltage control with Battery Management System
- Very lightweight but powerful enough to provide hours of electrical current
- Digital display on the front shows power and energy levels clearly
- Mains sockets can be loose
- App-based control may not be available
10. Böhmer-AG Camo Petrol Inverter Generator
If you want all the power of a heavy-duty generator but you’re tired of all the noise, try this one on for size. This low-noise, low-emission generator offers plenty of plugs for you to power machines and charge devices for hours on end.
Plus, there is a 2-year warranty in case something doesn’t work. The low emissions offered in “economy mode” can reduce the consumption of fuel without compromising the quality of electricity that is delivered to you on a consistent basis. This is a good option for more sensitive electronics and machinery.
Dimensions: 18.8 x 11.4 x 16.33 inches
Weight: 53 pounds
- Uninterrupted power with pure sine wave transmission
- Several plugs and AC/DC components available to power multiple devices at once
- 1700W consistent output, up to 1900W at a time
- Portable design with included handle that can be carried from home to the campsite
- Does not work as well on heavy equipment as it does on smaller devices
- Not waterproof and must be protected in rural conditions
Rely on These Survival Generators for All of Your Needs!
Before packing up for your camping trip, make sure you have the safety essentials with you. In many cases, a generator can make or break your ability to use your phone or cook a meal when you are out camping.
Generators are also essential for survival situations. If you are caught at home during a natural disaster, or you are in the middle of a large power outage, you will want to have a high-quality survival generator by your side to keep your important appliances powered on. Take a look at our other camping essentials and must-have survival items reviewed on our blog!
‘As an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases’